Monday, November 12, 2007

Chunky-Chunk (aka Christopher)

Last month, Christopher was going through a big time spit up phase. We would feed him his bottle, and then within the next 30 minutes he would spit up (for what seemed most of his bottle). When we went to his four month check-up, I mentioned to the pediatrician that Christopher seemed to be having quite a bit of spit up after eating. He wasn't crying while spitting up, indicating that he would have reflux, but he would stick his fingers into his mouth and practically gag himself. Alfonso and I used to joke to each other that Christopher was self-inducing bulimic, and that was why he would spit up so much.

Thankfully that period has passed (it was about a month of this) and it seems that Christopher is making up for lost time. He is now eating about every 2-3 hours of 6 ounces of formula. Before he would sleep through the entire night and wake at 6 or 7 to eat. Now he his waking up at 4 am for his bottle. I am happy that his appetite is back (and he is starting to fill out more and is heavier to pick up) but the early morning feedings are taking it's toll on the household.

We have our 6 month appointment on December 19th, so we will see how much he has gained. Just for kicks, I looked at my old height/weight records that my mom recorded on my immunization cards during my first year. Christopher is now 24.5" in length, and weighs at least 15 lbs. When I was 4 months, I weighed 11 lbs, 7oz and I was 23.5" in length. Granted this was 28 years ago, and nowadays babies are bigger. Also, there are height/weight differences between boys and girls. I was just curious to see how Christopher compared to me. I wonder if Christopher will take after us (we are 5'4 and 5'5) or be tall like his uncles (6'2 and 6'4).

3 comments:

AJ said...

That's so funny, Noah is a moose too, big and tall, and we are 5'5" and 5'6". We're wondering if he'll be short like us or tall like his uncles 5'10" and 6'2".

If he's that hungry, it may be a sign he's ready for cereal...of course ask your doctor, but I started both of my kids on cereal in the 3-4 month range because they were both such big babies with big appetities.

Crystal said...

I'm glad Chris is eating better. give him a big, slobbery kiss for me!

Mary said...

My sister just had to start her youngest on cereal and he's only 3 months. He did the same thing - was sleeping through the night one week and suddenly woke up to be fed. But definitely check with the doc first.