Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What we've been up to...

Alfonso went back to work on Sunday, so I've been at home with the kids for the last 3 days. It's been a challenge, but hopefully it will get easier. I am working on re-establishing a routine with Christopher, and that way it makes it easier on him and me.

Usually we are awake around 7 am (courtesy of Chris and his internal alarm clock), and I feed him breakfast at 9:00. He takes a morning nap (!) and then I feed him lunch at 12:30/1:00. We play in the living room for a few hours (Christopher plays with his toys, but on occasion will raid the cupboards and drawers and sometimes goes to the extent of pushing his high chair that is on wheels around the kitchen floor). The afternoons get a little hairy, as Angie likes to eat and eat and Christopher will start to get cranky. Today he went down for another nap at 2:45, and didn't wake up until 4:15. So, I am pretty lucky to have such a good sleeper on my hands.

As for handling two babies... lots and lots of diaper changes. I forgot how much infants need to be changed. Christopher can have a wet/dirty diaper and not complain. Angie on the other hand, gets worked up and agitated (ok, she seems to be a little high strung... maybe this is a personality trait). Frequently during meal times, I am nursing Angie with the assistance of my boppy pillow and simultaneously spooning food into Christopher's mouth. Often times I am consoling one baby, and then having to console another. It's very tiring...

After dinner (and after Alfonso has left for work at 6:00pm) I will load up the dishwasher (no longer time to wash dishes by hand) and start to get the kids ready for a walk. I make a point to walk in the evenings, as I find it relaxing for myself and the kids. Angie usually cries if she is riding in the stroller, so I often carry her in the baby bjorn.

I try to give Christopher a bath at least every day, as he gets stinky from the sweat and slobber he produces. Angie is bathed every other day. I brush Chris' teeth (with him threatening to bite my finger every time) and then put him in his crib (both babies sleep upstairs with us). We have a CD of bedtime lullabies, so I play the CD for him. He usually falls asleep pretty easily, no later than 8:30.

I used to read to him, but since Angie is usually screaming/crying during the bedtime routine, I haven't been able to. I try to be in bed by 10:30 at the latest, as Angie nurses twice during the night. Lately Christopher has been waking up during the night, and crying his head off. I try to console him, but he only cries harder. I wonder why??

Anyway, this is week 1 of me being with the kids by myself. I am sure that it will get easier, especially when Angie doesn't need to be nursed/held 24/7.

2 comments:

AJ said...

Good job keeping up Christopher's been time routine. I let Ava's go when I was pregnant with Noah and it was a huge mistake. Now neither one of them have a good routine at night, and it's something we're struggling with before we add a 3rd baby to our brood.

Keelie said...

Whew!!! What a challenge! Sounds like you're doing a great job!! But I might just postpone the idea of a second baby for a little while...not that I was planning on one!:)
It's nice that Christopher is still taking two naps! But so much for quiet time during those naps with little miss Angie!:) One day they might coincide!:)