Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Why, thank you very much

People say the strangest things when you are pregnant. I have pretty much gotten used to the steady stream of comments that I recieve from co-workers and strangers. I realize that people are excited to see a pregnant woman and want to comment on it, but a degree of filtration would be appreciated.

For example, earlier today I was at Walmart looking for a mirror for the entranceway downstairs. As I am walking through the store, I realize that people are looking at me but I ignore their stares. That was until a woman approached me and asked me how far along I was. I said that I was 35 weeks. The woman then asked how many months that was (I guess not understanding that 35 weeks/4 equals 8 and 3/4 months). I told her that I would be starting my 9th month next week, so I am almost a full 8 months. She then proceeded to tell me that I am looking very big and wondered if this was my first. I told her that the baby was indeed my first. She once again exclaimed that I didn't look as big as other women, but I was sure looking big. I didn't say thank you, but just kind of half smiled and made a quick right down the bread aisle.

Before the comments I would recieve from my co-workers would annoy me. I understand they mean well, but it became annoying pretty early on. Nothing against my Filopino co-workers, but some of their superstitions and beliefs are a little strange.

Such as:

Co-worker: Are you sure that you are having a boy?
Me: Yes, it has been confirmed twice now through ultrasound.
Co-worker: We thought that you were having a girl because you became more beautiful.

Hmm.. would I become ugly if I was having a boy?

This was last week:
Co-worker: Can you still drive?
Me: Yeah, I don't have any difficulty driving.
Co-worker: Your stomach isn't touching the steering wheel?

Only if I drove with the steering wheel up to my chin!

Then of course the usual weekly comments that I am getting so big. I can't help that Christopher is gaining weight and growing. However, I know that I am getting bigger, so I am used to hearing that comment. It's just annoying to hear it multiple times everytime I work (from the same people).

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but can't people follow the old saying of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

On a more positive note, most people are very polite and helpful. When I am out in public, I do recieve a lot of attention. While at the store, I have gotten into several conversations with women my age on raising children. Also, my patients and family members are very supportive and interested in hearing about my pregnancy. And I can't forget my dear husband, who continuously tells me how beautiful I look no matter how I feel. My family and friends have been amazing as well; supporting me through phone calls, emails, and words of understanding.

Thank you everyone!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

LOL, those are some strange things people say to you! You are a dignified lady for not responding with something equally rude. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my! You wonder if seeing a pregnant woman makes some people lose their "socially acceptable filter" between their brains and their mouths. I once heard that you should NEVER ask a stranger any questions regarding pregnancy unless you are actually seeing the baby emerge from her body.